Many events are available as webinars. Browse all webinars or use 'WB' in the city/state search.
Crash Course for First-Time Manager or Supervisors Live or Webinar
With the skills you gain in this course you will learn how to take charge of your new job, achieve results and build an image of self-assurance and competence. Learn what questions to ask on the first week on the job and the best way to recover when you make a mistake. Keywords: supervisory tools, newly appointed managers, developing your people. 6 CEUs. Keywords: webinar, webinars, on demand, virtual learning, virtual classes, online learning. Live Online Seminars earn CEU course credit only. Fee per person: $149; $139 each for five or more.
Leadership & Management
Who Should Attend?
Newer managers and supervisors
We Also Recommend:
You earned your supervisory position. This seminar will help you make the most of it.
In your old position you did a great job. But the skills that made you a valued team player won't necessarily make you a great supervisor or manager.
As a manager, you'll have more on your plate than ever before:
- It's not enough to follow directions -- now you must decide what gets done, when, and by whom.
- You don't just have to do your projects accurately and on time -- you have to help other people keep their projects on track, and see that everyone works together.
- You can't focus solely on your department -- now you're a member of the management team. Your new peers will expect you to have a broader perspective.
- It's not enough to keep yourself motivated -- you have to be a coach, cheerleader, and "strong shoulder" to people who have bad days, conflicts with each other, and demands you might not be able to satisfy.
Help make your move into management smoother and more successful.
You'll use what you learn right away. If a tough people problem comes up, you'll know how to handle it. When faced with a crisis, you'll remain calm and composed. You'll be better equipped to keep your team motivated, productive and, on target.
Attend this one-day seminar and get all the skills and insights you need to lead with confidence and conviction, including:
- How to start producing results you can take credit for fast
- Ways to avoid the problems that sabotage many new supervisors
- How to get the unvarnished truth about a new employee's track record and personality
- What it takes to get performance from people who aren't used to you being "the boss"
- How to size up your own boss -- so you can give better support and get more backing in return
- How to raise your visibility and earn the respect your position deserves
Plus you'll take home these essential "how to" supervisory tools:
- Leadership self-test. Find out how you rate as a leader - and how to become more persuasive and powerful.
- Employee motivation survey. Learn what your employees believe would increase their productivity.
- Work-group assessment. Determine your team's maturity, cohesion and stress levels, and adjust your leadership style accordingly.
- Employee work-style assessment. Pinpoint each team member's specific strengths and weaknesses.
- Delegation self-assessment. Could you benefit from delegating more? Find out what's holding you back.
Who will benefit most from this seminar?
- Supervisors and managers with less than one year's experience
- Aspiring and soon-to-be-promoted supervisors
- Newly appointed team, work group, and project leaders
- Experienced supervisors with little or no formal supervisory training
You'll see how to achieve results fast…
- Bureaucracy basher, expediter -- and 5 more hats you'll wear as a manager
- What motivate employees -- according to them (Many managers have it backwards. Do you?)
- How to quickly assess your people (so you can minimize their weaknesses and utilize their strengths), your team (so you can adopt the appropriate leadership style)
- How to help your employees find more meaning in (and better connection to) their work
- The basics of an effective performance evaluation
- Management communications: skills that can help you project authority and get instant cooperation from your staff
- The one key quality you can develop that determines your influence with others.
You'll learn to take charge of your job…
- How to get off to the right start - 7 specific guidelines that will help you earn respect right away
- The first (and most serious) temptation new supervisors face - and how to resist it
- Learning what your boss wants (and doesn't want) from you
- Important questions to ask the first week on the job
- Tips for supervising people who were your peers - and those who are your friends
- The best way to recover when you make a mistake
- 4 steps to minimize your people's resistance to change
You'll learn how to develop your people…
- What you should delegate - and what you must not
- 5 proven motivators and rewards to help your employees succeed
- The 5 most critical factors in administering discipline
- The most common causes of unsatisfactory performance - and how to help your people overcome them
Taking charge of your job
- The first (and most serious) temptation new supervisors face -- and how to resist it
- Setting self-learning goals that will get you up to speed fast
- Learning what your boss wants (and doesn't want) from you in 6 key areas
- Important questions to ask during your first week at your new job
- Conquering the paperwork mountain: a 2-step process to make sure you never miss a "must read" document
- 7 specific guidelines that will help you earn respect right away
Achieving concrete results fast
- 6 ways to achieve personal excellence as a leader
- Bureaucracy basher, expediter -- and 5 more hats you'll wear as a supervisor
- 4 necessary steps that will minimize your people's resistance to change and motivate them to do more
- Correcting leadership errors: the best ways to recover when you make a mistake
- How to quickly assess...
- ...your people, so you can minimize their weaknesses and utilize their strengths
- ...your team, so you can adopt the appropriate leadership style
Developing your people
- What you should delegate -- and what you must not
- How to delegate work and ensure it's done right -- without meddling
- The delegation traps every supervisor must learn to avoid
- What motivates employees, according to them (many supervisors have it backwards)
- Employee advocacy: Why and how to move your people ahead in your organization
- 5 proven motivators and rewards
- The basics of an effective performance evaluation
- The most common causes of unsatisfactory performance -- and how to help your people overcome them
- The 5 most critical factors in administering discipline, so you can correct people without destroying their motivation to change
Building an image of confidence and competence
- Skills for projecting authority and getting cooperation from your new staff
- Understanding the 5 most important ways people communicate
- Recognizing the "red flags" of body language
- The power of a positive mind-set: Where it comes from, how to get it and how to keep it, no matter what's happening to you
- The one key quality you can develop that determines your influence with others
Since Fred Pryor pioneered the one-day seminar in 1970, Pryor has helped more than 11 million people reach their career goals by offering comprehensive, affordable and convenient business, compliance and safety training. What began with Fred's drive to make learning accessible, efficient and economical through the founding of Fred Pryor Seminars, expanded with the acquisition of CareerTrack and has continued to grow Pryor into an industry leader offering competitive training for every industry and sector through Pryor Learning Solutions.
Staying true to Fred's mission to deliver the best and most cost-efficient continuous learning experience across the U.S. and Canada continues with Pryor Learning Solutions' true blended learning approach that includes live and online learning options. With Pryor, attend seminars, schedule on-site training, or gain access to more than 40 years of curated content in a cloud-based learning environment that doesn't obligate special IT requirements, pricey budgets or complicated timelines. You're fully operational in as little as three days and only three clicks away from unlimited learning options for your entire team.
Begin with a single seminar, or seize the opportunity to expand training to your entire team through Pryor's customer-focused Corporate and Government learning programs. Depending upon the educational opportunities you select, learning partnerships with Pryor have the potential to include:
- Intuitive and complimentary cloud-based learning environment requiring no specialized IT install, cost or downtime included with all year-long learning plans. Guaranteed access to training in three days and three clicks. Or, if you already have an LMS platform, port our content to your existing LMS and receive live training opportunities as well.
- Access to more than 4,700 online courses, with new content added at no additional charge.
- Robust training categories and meticulously curated content ranging from accounting, communication, compliance and workplace safety to customer service, HR, IT, leadership, OSHA, project and time management and more.
- Blended training options for any learning preference with in-person seminars, online quizzes, videos, webinars, and e-books.
- Dedicated client support for all with corporate and government accounts receiving weekly progress reports, customized curriculum mapping and marketing collateral for employee roll-out and the launch of special learning initiatives.*
- Advanced administration features like single-click reporting, assignable training, employee tracking and real-time goal measurement.*
- The opportunity to schedule on-site training solutions for just-in-time learning needs, or to ensure compliance and safety reporting to minimize workplace liability.
- Continuing education credits for CEU, CPE, HRCI, PDC, PDU.
- Accessible learning across a multitude of supported mobile devices.
- Satisfaction guaranteed.
Cancellation Policy: You may cancel your registration up to 10 business days before the seminar. Your registration fee will be refunded less a cancellation fee. If you need to cancel less than 10 business days prior to the seminar you may (1) send a substitute from your organization or (2) transfer your registration fee within 12 months to another seminar or conference of your choice. Please note that if you don't cancel and don't attend, you are still responsible for payment. Substitutions may be made at any time.
This seminar has
upcoming dates & cities. To quickly return to this seminar later, you can search by its QuickCode: