Many events are available as webinars. Browse all webinars or use 'WB' in the city/state search.
Management and Leadership Skills for New Managers or Supervisors Live or Webinar
Two days of practical instruction to drive home the essential skills you need to step confidently into a leadership role. You've just been promoted to manager -- now what? Getting promoted is a heady experience ... until reality sets in, and you realize you're not quite sure exactly what's expected of you in your new position. You're not alone: Many first-time managers find themselves stepping into their positions feeling apprehensive and ill-prepared. Why? Because it's a lot easier to be a follower than a leader. The skills and talents that made you a valued team player won't necessarily make you a great manager or supervisor. This course was created for people like you. It will make your move into management smoother and more successful. You'll use what you'll learn right away. If a tough problem comes up, you'll know how to handle it. When you're faced with a crisis, you'll react with confidence. You'll be better equipped to keep your people motivated, productive, and on target. In two solid days of practical instruction, we'll demonstrate and drive home the essential skills you'll need to step confidently into a leadership role. You'll gain insights into everything from making a good first impression to motivating people to managing change in the workplace. Keywords: beginning managers, prioritizing tasks, motivating people, delegating, coaching. Keywords: webinar, webinars, on demand, virtual learning, virtual classes, online learning. Live Online Seminars earn CEU course credit only. Fee per person: $349; $329 each for three or more.
Leadership & Management
Who Should Attend?
We Also Recommend:
2 days of practical instruction to drive home the essential skills you need to step confidently into a leadership role
You've just been promoted to "manager" -- now what?
Getting promoted is a heady experience ... until reality sets in, and you realize you're not quite sure exactly what's expected of you in your new position. You're not alone: Many first-time managers find themselves stepping into their positions feeling apprehensive and ill-prepared. Why? Because it's a lot easier to be a follower than a leader. The skills and talents that made you a valued team player won't necessarily make you a great manager or supervisor.
This course was created for people like you.
It will make your move into management smoother and more successful. You'll use what you'll learn right away. If a tough problem comes up, you'll know how to handle it. When you're faced with a crisis, you'll react with confidence. You'll be better equipped to keep your people motivated, productive, and on target.
Consider this clinic a crash course for beginning managers
In two solid days of practical instruction, we'll demonstrate and drive home the essential skills you'll need to step confidently into a leadership role. You'll gain insights into everything from making a good first impression to motivating people to managing change in the workplace.
The pace will be fast, full of variety, with a lot of information exchanged. To make everything you learn more relevant — and to help make it stick — we'll use a combination of proven training methods, including ...
Your leader is an experienced management training coach — a skilled facilitator whose two-day goal is to prepare you for the realities of your new role. Through case studies, right way/wrong way demonstrations, and examples drawn from actual workplaces, you'll gain a big-picture understanding of what it means to be a manager in today's workplace. And you'll have the opportunity to get any questions you might have answered on the spot.
Group exercises and discussion
Collaborative learning (sharing your experiences, listening to your peers, working together to find answers) is a highly effective way to gain — and give — knowledge. The exercises and discussions you'll take part in will bring to life the principles and practices you'll need to master as a manager.
"Learning by doing" sharpens any newly acquired skill. These practice drills let you put your new skills to the test by applying them to real-world scenarios. You begin to see how things work, where you need more coaching, what the results look like. Whether you choose to be an observer or a participant, these practice sessions are a key part of your total learning experience.
Learn the most effective and efficient ways to…
- Solidify your position
- Prioritize tasks
- Delegate responsibility
- Foster accountability and ownership
- Motivate people
- Coach individuals and teams
- Earn trust and respect
- Assess skills and weaknesses
- Hire and develop staff
- Communicate with peers and superiors
- And perform practically every other duty expected of you in your new role.
Note: This seminar is exclusively for managers and supervisors — new ones, prospective ones and those with some experience but no formal training. You'll soon find that many of your concerns are the same that others are facing, no matter their level of experience. As a result, you are all on common ground and will feel comfortable knowing that you're all there to learn.
In two fast-paced days, you'll gain a solid working knowledge of proven management skills that will serve you well throughout your career
How to take charge from the outset -- and avoid "beginner's blunders"
- How to manage the mountain of information coming at you from every direction
- Tips on supervising people who are your friends and were your equals
- How to deal with the legacy left by your predecessor
- Diplomatic ways to gather intelligence about your work group
- The best ways to establish a good working relationship with your boss
- What you can do to minimize surprises
- "Bureaucracy basher," "expediter," and 5 other hats you'll wear
- Specific ways to strive for and achieve personal excellence as a leader
- How to clarify your personal "vision and mission"
- Are you a leader or a manager? 4 unique qualities that distinguish one from the other
- How to help your people understand — and accept — any top-down directive that comes your way
- Ways to help people be proactive about change
- How to link lofty corporate goals to the people who do the actual work
How to hire, train, and develop a top-notch staff
- How to create a list of qualities that define your "ideal" candidate
- The kind of questions to ask in an interview — and answers to look for
- Common delegation traps every new manager must avoid
- Tips on matching the person to the job
- 5 motivators that work every time
- Goal-setting tips: How to set targets people believe in and will work toward
- How to use appraisals to reward success, correct sub-par performance, and re-energize efforts
- Ways to use corrective measures without destroying the willingness to change
- How to deal with reprimands, warnings, and dismissals
- The best ways to project authority without being overbearing
- How to recognize the "red flags" of body language
- Quick tips on becoming a better listener
- What to do when negativity pops up in your group or in your own mind
- Understanding attitudes: Where they come from, what feeds them, how to control their impact
Since Fred Pryor pioneered the one-day seminar in 1970, Pryor has helped more than 11 million people reach their career goals by offering comprehensive, affordable and convenient business, compliance and safety training. What began with Fred's drive to make learning accessible, efficient and economical through the founding of Fred Pryor Seminars, expanded with the acquisition of CareerTrack and has continued to grow Pryor into an industry leader offering competitive training for every industry and sector through Pryor Learning Solutions.
Staying true to Fred's mission to deliver the best and most cost-efficient continuous learning experience across the U.S. and Canada continues with Pryor Learning Solutions' true blended learning approach that includes live and online learning options. With Pryor, attend seminars, schedule on-site training, or gain access to more than 40 years of curated content in a cloud-based learning environment that doesn't obligate special IT requirements, pricey budgets or complicated timelines. You're fully operational in as little as three days and only three clicks away from unlimited learning options for your entire team.
Begin with a single seminar, or seize the opportunity to expand training to your entire team through Pryor's customer-focused Corporate and Government learning programs. Depending upon the educational opportunities you select, learning partnerships with Pryor have the potential to include:
- Intuitive and complimentary cloud-based learning environment requiring no specialized IT install, cost or downtime included with all year-long learning plans. Guaranteed access to training in three days and three clicks. Or, if you already have an LMS platform, port our content to your existing LMS and receive live training opportunities as well.
- Access to more than 4,700 online courses, with new content added at no additional charge.
- Robust training categories and meticulously curated content ranging from accounting, communication, compliance and workplace safety to customer service, HR, IT, leadership, OSHA, project and time management and more.
- Blended training options for any learning preference with in-person seminars, online quizzes, videos, webinars, and e-books.
- Dedicated client support for all with corporate and government accounts receiving weekly progress reports, customized curriculum mapping and marketing collateral for employee roll-out and the launch of special learning initiatives.*
- Advanced administration features like single-click reporting, assignable training, employee tracking and real-time goal measurement.*
- The opportunity to schedule on-site training solutions for just-in-time learning needs, or to ensure compliance and safety reporting to minimize workplace liability.
- Continuing education credits for CEU, CPE, HRCI, PDC, PDU.
- Accessible learning across a multitude of supported mobile devices.
- Satisfaction guaranteed.
Cancellation Policy: You may cancel your registration up to 10 business days before the seminar. Your registration fee will be refunded less a cancellation fee. If you need to cancel less than 10 business days prior to the seminar you may (1) send a substitute from your organization or (2) transfer your registration fee within 12 months to another seminar or conference of your choice. Please note that if you don't cancel and don't attend, you are still responsible for payment. Substitutions may be made at any time.
This seminar has
upcoming dates & cities. To quickly return to this seminar later, you can search by its QuickCode: