Many events are available as webinars. Browse all webinars or use 'WB' in the city/state search.
Fundamentals of Project Management Live or Webinar
Training in the hard skills and leadership qualities that keep projects on track. The intent of this course is to provide organizations with more of their own trained people who can step comfortably into the demanding role of project manager. Participants will learn how to plan, budget and schedule -- all of the so-called 'hard skills' critical to the success of any project. But they'll discover another side to project management that's equally important. They'll get a thorough grounding in the behind-the-scenes skills it takes to champion a project successfully from start to finish. Keywords: webinar, webinars, on demand, virtual learning, virtual classes, online learning. Live Online Seminars earn CEU course credit only. Fee per person: $349; $329 each for three or more.
Leadership & Management
> Project Management
Who Should Attend?
We Also Recommend:
Training in the hard skills and leadership qualities that keep projects on track
Project teams are the darlings of organizations that want to make things happen quickly and smoothly. Whether the job is simple (streamlining an internal process, for example) or complex (whisking a new product to market) the current thinking says "assign it to a project team and consider it done."
But organizations are also finding that as the number of projects proliferates, the pool of capable people to manage them gets smaller.
The intent of this course is to provide organizations with more of their own trained people who can step comfortably into the demanding role of project manager.
Participants will learn how to plan, budget and schedule -- all of the so-called "hard skills" critical to the success of any project.
But they'll discover another side to project management that's equally important.
They'll get a thorough grounding in the behind-the-scenes skills it takes to champion a project successfully from start to finish
- How to build a good working relationship between project manager and project sponsor
- How to recruit and hire the right people for a project team
- Tips on assessing risks and their consequences
- Ways to rebound quickly from setbacks
- Best methods to communicate progress
Who will benefit most
- First-time, self-taught, or limited-experience project managers
- Leaders unaccustomed to managing employees who aren't their subordinates
- Project teams, especially those that have stalled, lost enthusiasm or aren't producing as expected
How we present this material
This training is presented in a two-day format designed to allow the trainer to deliver a highly experiential program - including discussions, group exercises and hands-on practice to help drive home key project management skills. Participants will get their questions answered on the spot, receive "real-time" coaching, and benefit from the synergy of learning with their co-workers.
Key learning points
- What you must do first: determining the project's goals and constraints
- How to lay out the tasks to be done, and how to build the right team to accomplish them
- Ways to assemble and manage an "on-loan" project team-how to get other managers to lend you their best people, and how to lead team members not ordinarily under your supervision
- How to develop realistic schedules and budgets
- Using Gantt charts and critical paths as planning aids
- Ways to optimize communication and efficiency within a team
- Keeping a project on track when problems arise
- What to do when it's time to deliver the product and wrap up the project
As a result of this training
- More projects will be completed on time, within budget and with desired results
- People assigned to lead projects will do so with greater confidence
- The process will run more smoothly, and with greater autonomy
- Your people will be freed of the "crisis" mind-set that results from poorly planned and managed projects
Our highly trained curriculum designers ensure each program is content-rich and presented using the latest adult learning techniques.
How to begin every project with your eyes wide open
- Goals? Objectives? Desired outcomes? How to determine precisely what your project is expected to accomplish
- An 11-point checklist to make sure you and the project sponsor are on the same page
- Questions to ask that will bring any and all constraints-involving money, performance, deadlines-to the surface early on
- What work truly deserves "project" status-the pros and cons of project management
The planning it takes to pull off a glitch-free project
- Work Breakdown Structure-what it is, how it works and ways to use it to consolidate and prioritize tasks
- Determining the time it takes to do a task- a nearly foolproof formula to help you arrive at a realistic time frame
- Gantt charts and critical paths: 2 scheduling tools that can help you spot potential conflicts and fine-tune your timing
- 7 steps to creating a budget that's realistic, manageable and flexible
How to set your project in motion
- Put it in writing? Call a meeting? Send an email? Set up a one-on-one? Your communication options and when to use which ones
- When you've got bad news—ways to soften the blow without sugarcoating the facts
- Ways to develop a "balanced team"-how diversity can add to innovation and lessen the dangers of "groupthink"
Why you need to keep a close watch on your project's progress-and how to do it
- The importance of meeting milestones and the domino effect of missing them by even a little
- Minding the money-how to cope with cost overruns and ways to minimize their effect
- Excuses and blaming; habitual lateness; "paralysis of analysis" and other red flags that your project may be heading for trouble
- "Crashing" a project: what it means, when to do it, how to predict its outcome
Closing up shop-how to "deliver" your completed project
- How to decide if your project has met all your objectives-key questions to ask yourself before making final delivery
- An 8-point checklist that can help ensure you've covered all the bases
- Abandoned projects: the "salvage value" to look for if for some reason your project gets scrapped midstream or mothballed upon completion
Critiquing your performance and celebrating your success!
- What went right-and why? What went wrong-and how would you do things differently?
- Nothing can keep the project spirit alive within your organization quite like a celebration of your success. You'll come away with a wealth of ideas to reward team members; acknowledge your project's contribution (to your organization, perhaps even to your industry); and create the kind of good will that makes people want to be a part of your next project team.
Since Fred Pryor pioneered the one-day seminar in 1970, Pryor has helped more than 11 million people reach their career goals by offering comprehensive, affordable and convenient business, compliance and safety training. What began with Fred's drive to make learning accessible, efficient and economical through the founding of Fred Pryor Seminars, expanded with the acquisition of CareerTrack and has continued to grow Pryor into an industry leader offering competitive training for every industry and sector through Pryor Learning Solutions.
Staying true to Fred's mission to deliver the best and most cost-efficient continuous learning experience across the U.S. and Canada continues with Pryor Learning Solutions' true blended learning approach that includes live and online learning options. With Pryor, attend seminars, schedule on-site training, or gain access to more than 40 years of curated content in a cloud-based learning environment that doesn't obligate special IT requirements, pricey budgets or complicated timelines. You're fully operational in as little as three days and only three clicks away from unlimited learning options for your entire team.
Begin with a single seminar, or seize the opportunity to expand training to your entire team through Pryor's customer-focused Corporate and Government learning programs. Depending upon the educational opportunities you select, learning partnerships with Pryor have the potential to include:
- Intuitive and complimentary cloud-based learning environment requiring no specialized IT install, cost or downtime included with all year-long learning plans. Guaranteed access to training in three days and three clicks. Or, if you already have an LMS platform, port our content to your existing LMS and receive live training opportunities as well.
- Access to more than 4,700 online courses, with new content added at no additional charge.
- Robust training categories and meticulously curated content ranging from accounting, communication, compliance and workplace safety to customer service, HR, IT, leadership, OSHA, project and time management and more.
- Blended training options for any learning preference with in-person seminars, online quizzes, videos, webinars, and e-books.
- Dedicated client support for all with corporate and government accounts receiving weekly progress reports, customized curriculum mapping and marketing collateral for employee roll-out and the launch of special learning initiatives.*
- Advanced administration features like single-click reporting, assignable training, employee tracking and real-time goal measurement.*
- The opportunity to schedule on-site training solutions for just-in-time learning needs, or to ensure compliance and safety reporting to minimize workplace liability.
- Continuing education credits for CEU, CPE, HRCI, PDC, PDU.
- Accessible learning across a multitude of supported mobile devices.
- Satisfaction guaranteed.
Cancellation Policy: You may cancel your registration up to 10 business days before the seminar. Your registration fee will be refunded less a cancellation fee. If you need to cancel less than 10 business days prior to the seminar you may (1) send a substitute from your organization or (2) transfer your registration fee within 12 months to another seminar or conference of your choice. Please note that if you don't cancel and don't attend, you are still responsible for payment. Substitutions may be made at any time.
This seminar has
upcoming dates & cities. To quickly return to this seminar later, you can search by its QuickCode: