Many events are available as webinars. Browse all webinars or use 'WB' in the city/state search.
Front Desk Safety and Security Live or Webinar
In this powerful, eye-opening workshop, you'll discover a variety of tools, techniques, and strategies for securing your front desk area and staying calm and in control when faced with emergency situations. We'll cover preparation and prevention techniques for natural disasters, theft, property damage and other crimes, offer tips for identifying potentially violent or unbalanced individuals, cover building and facility safety measures, and reveal ways to shore up weaknesses in procedures that may leave your organization and employees vulnerable to outside influences. Keywords: workplace violence, security breaches, workplace safety, lobby security, weapons in the workplace, emergency situations, visitors, visitor identification, gatekeeper, bomb threats, volatile situations, fire, earthquakes. 6 CEUs. Keywords: webinar, webinars, on demand, virtual learning, virtual classes, online learning. Live Online Seminars earn CEU course credit only. Fee per person: $149; $139 each for five or more.
Leadership & Management
> Administrative Skills
Who Should Attend?
Front desk personnel
Take the first line of defense against security breaches, safety concerns, and volatile situations.
In one intensive, fast-paced day, you’ll learn …
- How to assess your front desk area and eliminate potential security breaches, dangerous situations and safety hazards
- The best ways to respond when emergency strikes (both natural disasters and human threats)
- “An ounce of prevention” … how to ensure emergency policies and procedures are up to par with law enforcement recommendations
- Dialing 9-1-1 — What to do if you are suddenly required to make that call
- Techniques for defusing escalating tempers, handling emotional outbursts, and dealing with unreasonable demands
- How to stay on top of visitors, packages, phones, and e-mail, when everyone’s pulling you in different directions simultaneously
- Spot the warning signs for identifying people who may pose a threat to you, your organization, or its employees
Workplace violence couldn’t happen at your organization … or could it?
Workplace violence can strike anywhere, any time. It doesn’t matter if your company is a small mom-and-pop business or a large corporation. It doesn’t matter if you’re in middle America or on the East or West coast. And it doesn’t matter what type of business you work for.
In these times of turbulence and unrest, safety and security issues “on the home front” and in the workplace are more critical than ever before. Terrorist threats, mass corporate layoffs, a depressed economy, and political upheaval are all real factors contributing to stress and emotional anguish in the workplace.
As people feel pushed to the breaking point, workplace violence becomes more of a reality. Employees need procedures and policies in place to follow in case of emergency, and — just as important — the training and confidence to put those policies into action should the need arise.
As a front desk professional, you are the first line of defense against security breaches, safety concerns, and volatile situations.
Your role as a front desk professional requires you to wear a variety of “hats” during your work day — among them gatekeeper, communications expert, phone whiz, mediator, troubleshooter, and secretary. As the first person vendors, visitors, and delivery people have contact with, you are the eyes and ears of your organization. It is up to you to spot potential troublemakers, identify red flag behaviors, prevent breaches of security, and act with confidence and authority when situations threaten to get out of hand.
In this powerful, eye-opening workshop, you’ll discover a variety of tools, techniques, and strategies for securing your front desk area and staying calm and in control when faced with emergency situations. We’ll cover preparation and prevention techniques for natural disasters, theft, property damage and other crimes, offer tips for identifying potentially violent or unbalanced individuals, cover building and facility safety measures, and reveal ways to shore up weaknesses in procedures that may leave your organization and employees vulnerable to outside influences.
Here's some of what you'll learn:
- Learn how to evaluate visitor access to your organization and increase security in your lobby and front desk area
- Discover foolproof ways to discourage guests from “finding their own way” throughout your organization
- Learn the very best responses to a variety of emergency situations — from bomb threats to fire to medical emergencies
- Discover how you should react when weapons are involved — and things get frightening
- Learn how to effectively defuse angry, out-of-control employees or visitors, and regain command of sensitive situations
- Explore ways to empower yourself and bolster your confidence so that you come across as a strong, take-charge professional who can’t be intimidated
Violence and safety in the workplace today
- The truth about violence in the workplace today: what constitutes workplace violence, who’s at risk, why it’s getting worse
- How vulnerable is your organization?
- How to identify and eliminate gaps in the security of your front desk area
- Insights and advice from OSHA on creating a safe working environment
- How to create an emergency procedures manual if your organization doesn’t have one already
- How to design and implement an emergency action plan everyone can follow
No-nonsense management of your front desk and lobby area
- What is your role as front desk “gatekeeper?” What are your responsibilities regarding safety and security measures? What can you be held accountable for?
- How to use information-gathering and strategic planning to keep one step ahead of emergency situations
- Emergency response strategies to get help fast when you need it
- How to gather information and act as a point of contact during employee disaster drills
- Tips for managing the flow of visitors, vendors, and customers who come through your doors
- Designing a check-in and check-out log
- How to ensure that restricted areas remain that way
- Ways to enforce visitor identification and escort requirements
- The best ways to handle cold-call vendors
- Strategies for managing multiple distractions and people
Critical communication skills no front desk professional should be without
- How your listening skills can be your best asset when it comes to handling ticklish situations and touchy personalities
- Telephone listening skills that will help you “listen between the lines”
- Tips for swiftly establishing credibility and authority with visitors to your organization
- How to develop your own personal phone poise and presence
- The legal way to handle “reference” calls — what you can and cannot say
- How to use e-mail safely and securely
- The truth about intuition — learn to trust your instincts and keep on top of trouble
- Lower your stress quotient and enjoy more balance and serenity during even hectic work days
When worst-case scenarios become real — handle emergencies while keeping yourself and others safe
- How to “talk people down” and regain control of explosive situations
- What to do when confrontations turn serious and weapons are suddenly involved
- Learn to handle these potentially explosive situations with confidence: thieves and break-ins, bomb threats, fire, earthquakes, and other disasters
- How to follow legal guidelines for reporting injuries and other emergencies
Security measures to increase workplace safety
- Strategies for protecting proprietary company information
- Basic, common-sense security practices suggested by law enforcement
- Discover these building and facility safety practices recommended by security experts
- Protecting workers after-hours — how to make sure that your facility is secure and employees stay safe when working late
Don’t leave workplace safety to chance! This powerful workshop is packed with the critical “survival skills” no front desk professional should be without! Discover essential information for preventing workplace violence, defusing volatile situations, handling emergencies, and securing your front desk and lobby area.
Since Fred Pryor pioneered the one-day seminar in 1970, Pryor has helped more than 11 million people reach their career goals by offering comprehensive, affordable and convenient business, compliance and safety training. What began with Fred's drive to make learning accessible, efficient and economical through the founding of Fred Pryor Seminars, expanded with the acquisition of CareerTrack and has continued to grow Pryor into an industry leader offering competitive training for every industry and sector through Pryor Learning Solutions.
Staying true to Fred's mission to deliver the best and most cost-efficient continuous learning experience across the U.S. and Canada continues with Pryor Learning Solutions' true blended learning approach that includes live and online learning options. With Pryor, attend seminars, schedule on-site training, or gain access to more than 40 years of curated content in a cloud-based learning environment that doesn't obligate special IT requirements, pricey budgets or complicated timelines. You're fully operational in as little as three days and only three clicks away from unlimited learning options for your entire team.
Begin with a single seminar, or seize the opportunity to expand training to your entire team through Pryor's customer-focused Corporate and Government learning programs. Depending upon the educational opportunities you select, learning partnerships with Pryor have the potential to include:
- Intuitive and complimentary cloud-based learning environment requiring no specialized IT install, cost or downtime included with all year-long learning plans. Guaranteed access to training in three days and three clicks. Or, if you already have an LMS platform, port our content to your existing LMS and receive live training opportunities as well.
- Access to more than 4,700 online courses, with new content added at no additional charge.
- Robust training categories and meticulously curated content ranging from accounting, communication, compliance and workplace safety to customer service, HR, IT, leadership, OSHA, project and time management and more.
- Blended training options for any learning preference with in-person seminars, online quizzes, videos, webinars, and e-books.
- Dedicated client support for all with corporate and government accounts receiving weekly progress reports, customized curriculum mapping and marketing collateral for employee roll-out and the launch of special learning initiatives.*
- Advanced administration features like single-click reporting, assignable training, employee tracking and real-time goal measurement.*
- The opportunity to schedule on-site training solutions for just-in-time learning needs, or to ensure compliance and safety reporting to minimize workplace liability.
- Continuing education credits for CEU, CPE, HRCI, PDC, PDU.
- Accessible learning across a multitude of supported mobile devices.
- Satisfaction guaranteed.
Cancellation Policy: You may cancel your registration up to 10 business days before the seminar. Your registration fee will be refunded less a cancellation fee. If you need to cancel less than 10 business days prior to the seminar you may (1) send a substitute from your organization or (2) transfer your registration fee within 12 months to another seminar or conference of your choice. Please note that if you don't cancel and don't attend, you are still responsible for payment. Substitutions may be made at any time.
This seminar has
upcoming dates & cities. To quickly return to this seminar later, you can search by its QuickCode: