Many events are available as webinars. Browse all webinars or use 'WB' in the city/state search.
Payroll Law Live or Webinar
An intensive one-day workshop on today's most challenging payroll issues! What you don't know CAN hurt you. That's never more true than when handling payroll. The first step to complying with regulations is understanding them. That's why you'll begin your day with a crash course in payroll's legal basics. You'll find out what areas fall under state, federal, and joint regulation, and learn how to avoid the often staggering penalties and fines of non-compliance. There's a lot of meat to the Fair Labor Standards Act/Amd regulators are watching closely. It takes careful maneuvering to stay out of legal hot water. The most innocent mistake can result in a substantial fine, and with you losing credibility with your company. Be prepared by knowing what's expected, what's changed, and where there are loopholes. 6 CEUs.Keywords: webinar, webinars, on demand, virtual learning, virtual classes, online learning. Live Online Seminars earn CEU course credit only. Fee per person: $149; $139 each for five or more.
Fred Pryor Seminars
Finance & Accounting
Who Should Attend?
Those in payroll management
An intensive one-day workshop on today's most challenging payroll issues!
What you don't know CAN hurt you. That's never more true than when handling payroll. The first step to complying with regulations is understanding them. That's why you'll begin your day with a crash course in payroll's legal basics. You'll find out what areas fall under state, federal, and joint regulation, and learn how to avoid the often staggering penalties and fines of non-compliance.
There's a lot of meat to the Fair Labor Standards Act/Amd regulators are watching closely. It takes careful maneuvering to stay out of legal hot water. The most innocent mistake can result in a substantial fine, and with you losing credibility with your company. Be prepared by knowing what's expected, what's changed, and where there are loopholes.
Handling payroll sounds like a simple proposition. Employees work at a certain rate of pay. You take out taxes and give them the rest of what they've earned. If only it were that clear cut. Regulations regarding special benefits and other payments turn a simple proposition into a legal landmine. Armed with the strategies you'll gain at this seminar, you'll handle payroll accurately, legally, and with complete confidence.
Every employee's paycheck presents a different challenge. After the seminar you'll know which forms to use when and, most important, how to keep your company out of hot water with the DOL and state agencies. It's their job to catch you in a mistake. Together, we'll make sure that doesn't happen.
The New Basics of Payroll Management
- The high cost of improperly classifying employees
- Critical steps for new hire reporting — what you must do
- The most important thing to know about statutory employees
- Why payroll managers hold more responsibility today than ever before
- The legal importance of maintaining the distinctions between contract employees and staff
- What to do if you get an FLSA complaint
Making Sense of the FLSA
- The must-do's of FLSA record keeping
- Exempt vs. nonexempt employees — are you applying the FLSA properly to each?
- What are your company's responsibilities for travel time, on-call time, and time employees spend waiting on behalf of your company?
- Are all meetings and training deductable — even those that are primarily vacations?
- When are exempt employees eligible for overtime?
- Understanding overlapping federal and state wage and hour laws
- The important tip credit and what it means to your company's labor costs
- Comp time — the common illegal practice many companies unknowingly use
Special Pay Considerations — Perks and Benefits
- When and how to tax fringe benefits such as company cars, club memberships, etc.
- The legal ramifications of paycheck advances
- When must prizes won at a company function be taxed?
- Gone to the Guard for the week — what to do when military pay and your payroll overlap
- Tips and uniform allowances — what's considered income, what's not?
- What you're required to pay when an employee is dismissed
- Compensation and fair market value — what the law says you must do
- Gifts that must be reported to the IRS
- Withholding and reporting rules for cash fringe benefits vs. non-cash fringe benefits
Special Circumstances — Special Treatment
- When to withhold tax — before or after voluntary deductions
- Payroll procedures that signal trouble to auditors
- How to correctly follow the tax provision for low income families
- What is back-up withholding and when should you use it?
- The critical differences between W-4, W-4P, and W-4S forms
- Special must-do procedures for employing resident and non-resident aliens
- How to handle compensation for U.S. employees working abroad
Since Fred Pryor pioneered the one-day seminar in 1970, Pryor has helped more than 11 million people reach their career goals by offering comprehensive, affordable and convenient business, compliance and safety training. What began with Fred's drive to make learning accessible, efficient and economical through the founding of Fred Pryor Seminars, expanded with the acquisition of CareerTrack and has continued to grow Pryor into an industry leader offering competitive training for every industry and sector through Pryor Learning Solutions.
Staying true to Fred's mission to deliver the best and most cost-efficient continuous learning experience across the U.S. and Canada continues with Pryor Learning Solutions' true blended learning approach that includes live and online learning options. With Pryor, attend seminars, schedule on-site training, or gain access to more than 40 years of curated content in a cloud-based learning environment that doesn't obligate special IT requirements, pricey budgets or complicated timelines. You're fully operational in as little as three days and only three clicks away from unlimited learning options for your entire team.
Begin with a single seminar, or seize the opportunity to expand training to your entire team through Pryor's customer-focused Corporate and Government learning programs. Depending upon the educational opportunities you select, learning partnerships with Pryor have the potential to include:
- Intuitive and complimentary cloud-based learning environment requiring no specialized IT install, cost or downtime included with all year-long learning plans. Guaranteed access to training in three days and three clicks. Or, if you already have an LMS platform, port our content to your existing LMS and receive live training opportunities as well.
- Access to more than 4,700 online courses, with new content added at no additional charge.
- Robust training categories and meticulously curated content ranging from accounting, communication, compliance and workplace safety to customer service, HR, IT, leadership, OSHA, project and time management and more.
- Blended training options for any learning preference with in-person seminars, online quizzes, videos, webinars, and e-books.
- Dedicated client support for all with corporate and government accounts receiving weekly progress reports, customized curriculum mapping and marketing collateral for employee roll-out and the launch of special learning initiatives.*
- Advanced administration features like single-click reporting, assignable training, employee tracking and real-time goal measurement.*
- The opportunity to schedule on-site training solutions for just-in-time learning needs, or to ensure compliance and safety reporting to minimize workplace liability.
- Continuing education credits for CEU, CPE, HRCI, PDC, PDU.
- Accessible learning across a multitude of supported mobile devices.
- Satisfaction guaranteed.
Cancellation Policy: You may cancel your registration up to 10 business days before the seminar. Your registration fee will be refunded less a cancellation fee. If you need to cancel less than 10 business days prior to the seminar you may (1) send a substitute from your organization or (2) transfer your registration fee within 12 months to another seminar or conference of your choice. Please note that if you don't cancel and don't attend, you are still responsible for payment. Substitutions may be made at any time.
This seminar has
upcoming dates & cities. To quickly return to this seminar later, you can search by its QuickCode: